Three new designs added to our No Sew Iron On range, for boys (or girls) of all ages!
New to our range, and ideal for customising, Vintage-Patch Fabric Covered Buttons (2cm diameter) in matching fabric to your elbow / knee patches.
These buttons are made from recycled aluminium and are not suitable for upholstery applications.
If you are customising, you may also like these fabric trim strips, which have a multitude of uses; cut to size to make faux pocket flaps, sleeve cuffs, random stripes – you can even make a cardigan out of a sweater – see the tutorial here.
Like the buttons, these trims strips are available in many of our elbow patch fabrics at £4.95 for a pack of 2. To purchase a pack of trim strips, please click on the elbow patch fabric design you like and choose the trim strips option from dropdown list if available.
I love checks and stripes, and these versatile designs would look great as an accent on a plain shirt, sweater or jeans, or quirky alongside florals or patterned garments.
Brilliant for boys, gorgeous for girls! The patches shown on this post are available in all our usual shapes (oval, heart, square, rectangle, circle, flower), in adult and child sizes with our NEW 'No Sew' adhesive – so stitching is optional!
Check out all our check, stripe and plaid designs on our products page.
Here are some of the finished products, perfect for summertime refashions and repairs. These patches are available in all our standard shapes and in adult and child sizes – just click on the Products page to see the range.
These nifty fabric frames are a by-product of our elbow patch manufacture, and we’ve found they work brilliantly as card toppers or for fabric crafts and applique. Simply remove backing paper, iron into position carefully (over stitch if a washable bond on fabric is needed)
Packs are Lucky Dip style, with a variety of designs and shapes (photos are a guide only, packs may differ in fabric designs). Aperture shapes are mainly oval, with occasional hearts or flowers in small and large sizes depending on stock.
Fabrics are a selection of mainly cotton print with some denim / faux suede fabrics dependent on what we have available.
Large (fits A5 size card) 13cm x 17cm approx outside edge of rectangle. Oval aperture 15cm x 10.5cm, Heart aperture 14cm x 10cm
Small (15cm x 11cm) approx at outside edge of rectangle. Oval aperture 13cm x 9cm, Heart aperture 11cm x 8cm
We try to be generous with margins when cutting, but no guarantee on exact sizing or trim areas and widths can be given.
Available in packs of 5 or 20. Instructions included in pack.
You may remember in February this year we started trialling a new adhesive for our patches which would provide a no sew option for those of you who don't enjoy stitching and embellishing your repairs.
We applied various fabrics, including one denim, one woven cotton, and one cotton jersey t shirting to a scrap of old jeans material, and scheduled them for several machine washes.
We're thrilled to report that.the adhesive has stood up to laundering really well, and we're going to be using it in the manufacture of all our products once existing stocks have run out.
We're so impressed with the product that we're also going to be supplying the adhesive sheets on their own, so they can be used wiith your own fabrics to create motifs and carry out repairs. Click here for more information on the Adhesive Sheets.
Our Reverse Repair Patch Kit has been designed for when you want to repair a hole in fabric from underneath.
…and poly cotton floral fabrics.
1. Ensure your patch is large enough. If the hole or tear is untidy, now is the time to cut a more uniform aperture if you want to.
2. It's essential to have plenty of margin around the hole you need to repair so there is adequate room for glue coverage. Patch kits come in two sizes, 10 x 10cm and 15 x 15cm..
3. Place glue sheet underneath fabric, shiny (glue) side down. Ideally keep the straight edges of the paper running in the same direction as the grain of the fabric
4. Carefully mark the edges of the hole on the glue paper with a pencil. Now is a good time to also mark the direction of the fabric grain on the paper with an arrow which will help placement of the patch later.
5. Cut about 2mm outside the edge of the pencil marks so the paper hole is very slightly larger than the one in your garment.
6. Place glue paper on top of the right side of the fabric patch. Make sure the arrow you've marked is running in the same direction as the fabric grain. Iron paper
7. Iron glue paper onto fabric patch with a medium hot iron for 5 – 20 seconds. Allow to cool briefly.
8. Peel off adhesive backing paper
9. You should clearly see the layer of glue coverage once you've peeled the backing paper away.
10. Place fabric patch behind hole in the garment. Make very sure that the patch is placed so that there is no glue showing around the edges of the aperature (as in the picture below) as this could stick to the hot iron and make a mess.
11. The placement of the patch in the picture below is correct.
12. With a medium to hot (not max temp) iron, press over the hole briefly for initial fix, then cover area with a thin, slightly damp cloth (a muslin or thin tea towel works well) and press for 20 – 60 seconds from both sides of the repair until garment and fabric has dried and a good fix has been achieved.
13. Pay attention to the edges of the patch, but avoid lifting them to check for fix until fabric has cooled.
14. The finished repair. Providing your Reverse Patch has been applied correctly, the glue used for it should give a good fix for items washable at 40 degrees without further sewing, but for a better finished appearance, we always recommend sewing around your repair by hand or machine.
Running stitch using contrast embroidery floss.
Why not try a chain stitch or other decorative embellishment.
Check out the latest additions to the Vintage-Patch iron on patches range in our online store this April. You may have seen some of these designs on our Ebay pages, but now as well as oval shape elbow and knee patches, these fabrics are available in rectangle, heart, circle, square and flower. Just see the product descriptions for more options to choose from.