Vintage-Patch patches are easy to apply, and each pack includes a test sample for a trial run.
1. Ensure the garment you wish to apply patches to can be ironed at medium to maxium iron temperature.
6. For lightweight cotton patches heat iron to medium/maximum (depending on your garment), then press and hold iron for 6 – 10 seconds on each section (or until entire piece is well bonded), paying attention to the edges.
Although with lightweight fabrics you can iron straight on top of the fabric, we always recommend using a damp ironing cloth (a thin tea towel works well) over the patch as it gives a more reliable bond. IMPORTANT. The use of a damp cloth for thicker fabrics such as our denim or corduroy patches is essential. For these, heat your iron to maximum and iron patches on using the damp cloth and pressing for 6 – 30 seconds over all parts of the patch from the top, and then for an additional 6 – 30 seconds from the back of the project (or until the patch is well bonded). The steam from the ironing cloth helps the adhesive to set. Leave to dry, then check to ensure a firm bond has been achieved and stitch around patches for a permanent fix.
7. Lay the fused parts flat and allow to cool for about 20 minutes.
8. After 2 – 3 washes, the adhesive bond may begin to weaken on some fabrics, so we strongly recommend further securing the patch by stitching around the edges. This can be done by machine using a zig zag setting, or hand stitching – a simple running stitch in matching or contrast thread is quick and easy. Alternatively hand sew using a blanket stitch for a traditional finish, which maintains a cleaner edge on patches made from fray-prone fabrics like denim or corduroy.
Below: Patch secured with Blanket Stitch.
Here are two links for stitch instructions: http://www.instructables.com/id/Embroidery-101/step4/The-running-stitch/ and http://www.instructables.com/id/Embroidery-101/step8/Blanket-stitch/
9. Vintage-Patch fabrics are prewashed for colourfastness, but we do recommend that if strongly coloured patches are applied to light coloured garments, you add a ‘colour catcher’ cloth to the first couple of washes. Our fabrics are suitable for machine or hand washing at 40 degrees.
During the coming weeks we will be expanding our range of multi size and shape patches suitable for customising / personalising t shirts, sweaters, skirts, bags and much more. Great as an unusual gift idea or a party activity pack for all ages. Check out our brand new website at www.vintage-patch.co.uk for new designs added weekly and FREE p&p on orders over £10!
LIKE our brand new Facebook page for a chance to win a free set of patches in our monthly giveaway and keep up to date with our latest products and offers.